Survey consists of responses from 73 bicycle and pedestrian coordinators concerning bicycle and pedestrian issues. Topics/questions include:
- Do your street design standards require the provisions of pedestrian and/or bicycle facilities as part of the construction of new highways? If yes, please briefly describe what the requirements are.
- Does your city have a plan or regulations in place that require the provisions of pedestrian and/or bicycle facilities (on or off-road) at new developments? If yes, please briefly describe what the requirements are.
- Has your city adopted standards/specifications for the planning and design of pedestrian and/or bicycle facilities? If yes, how were these standards obtained?
- Are you satisfied with the available technical resources (documents, training) for the planning and design of pedestrian and or bicycle facilities?
- Do you have an active citizens’ or other advisory committee(s) that makes recommendations about the provision, enhancement, and use of pedestrian and/or bicycle facilities? If so, who constitutes the committee(s)?
- Does your city have a designated bicycle/pedestrian coordinator?
- Has your city embarked in the past (or is it presently embarking) on programs/techniques to encourage walking and bicycling? If yes, briefly outline these programs, techniques.
- Have you noticed and increase in bicycle and/or pedestrian usage in areas where your city has successfully implemented traffic calming techniques? If yes, briefly explain the reasons for such an increase.
- Have you established a uniform signing and marking system for pedestrian and bicycle facilities? If yes, do you think it is necessary to establish such a uniform system?
- What do you consider to be the main impediments that you face in creating a more friendly pedestrian and bicycle environment?
- What is your city’s policy on the provision of sidewalks?
- What, if any, regulations do you have in place to increase the provision of bicycle parking?
- Have you and/or your colleagues estimated the potential demand for a new bicycle facility in the past? If yes, please explain the technique used to make this estimate.