Bus Use of Shoulders
Date published: Apr 11, 2011
Transit agencies with experience running buses on shoulders and state DOTs with experience implementing bus use of shoulder projects were identified and surveyed about the operation of their projects. Ten of ten transit agencies or state DOTs responded to the survey.
Topics/questions to transit agencies include:
- What is/are the name(s) of your bus use of shoulder project(s)?
- When was it or will it be implemented (year)?
- On which freeway(s) and/or arterial(s) was or will bus use of shoulders be implemented?
- On how many miles of freeway(s) and/or arterial(s) are the shoulders presently used by buses?
- During which times of day are shoulders typically used?
- What is the typical capital cost per mile to implement your bus use of shoulder projects (e.g. shoulder strengthening, signing and marking)?
- Under what rules do your agency’s buses operate on the shoulders of freeways and/or arterials?
- Which buses other than those from your agency are allowed to use the shoulders?
- Are any bus stops located in the freeway or arterial right-of-way where shoulders are used?
- How many minutes are saved during peak periods due to the use of shoulders?
- What are the main advantages to using freeway and/or arterial shoulders?
- What are the main disadvantages to using freeway and/or arterial shoulders?
- What advice can you give to agencies considering the bus use of freeway and/or arterial shoulders?
Topics/questions to state DOTs include:
- What is your agency’s general policy towards the accommodation of bus use of shoulders?
- What do you consider to be the minimum shoulder geometric requirements to accommodate buses?
- Do your shoulders typically need strengthening to accommodate buses?
- What is the typical capital cost per mile to ready shoulders for the accommodation of buses (e.g. shoulder strengthening, signing and marking)?
- What are your main safety concerns associated with buses using shoulders?
- What are the main provisions you require to increase the safety of operations?
- What is your overall assessment of bus use of shoulders?
- What advice will you give to other DOTs considering bus use of shoulders?
This product is published as a PDF document that can be downloaded from this website.Price :